Posted11th Nov, 2020
Employment typeRegular - Full Time
What does a great Principal Data Scientist do?
- Lead the creation and continuous development of the data science domain roadmaps aligned to Travelport Technology and Business Strategies and lead deployment of data science solutions to enable delivery of strategic commercial goals for revenue growth, cost optimization and customer intimacy.
- Provide thought leadership and lead the execution of diverse data science projects collaborating with and building the data science community and practice within Travelport
- Responsible to review all enterprise projects and provide guidance from domain expertise ensuring conformance with domain governance and alignment with COE architecture roadmaps. Fiscally aware of the project life cycle and the impact of decisions.
- Act as a technical product owner where applicable for a service/portfolio, prioritize and manage enterprise requirements, build a business case and drive it for approval. Accountable for delivery of roadmaps.
- Capability of leading cross functional projects/programs with matrixed teams, including onshore and offshore resources, effectively influencing and overcoming roadblocks without assistance.
- Evaluates progress against key portfolio and performance drivers and assesses organizational opportunities and risks.
- Demonstrates enterprise perspective and applies business acumen to determine and influence how the data can contribute to measuring the success of Travelport strategic initiatives.
- Delivers highly complex statistical and machine learning/predictive models from both internal and external data to provide solutions, insights, and new opportunities for business and product
- Improves efficiency by spearheading pilots and planned functional change initiatives.
- Converses with, writes strategic documents and creates/delivers presentations to internal business leaders and as well as external groups.
- Maintains expert awareness of emerging technologies, industry trends, and contributes to data science best practices. Attend external events / seminars to ensure emerging best practice and innovation in data science domain can be brought into the Travelport data science community.
We build innovative software solutions that have a global impact upon the lives of travelers and travel agents. As the partner of choice for travel’s game-changers, you’ll drive transformation and be part of a winning culture.
What we look for?
- 15+ years’ experience
- Possess mastery domain expertise and experience working across a group of related products/applications and related systems recognizing key inter-dependencies for domain
- Experience identifying strategic solutions to loosely defined business problems
- Proven design and delivery of long-term scalable solutions that cross enterprise data science domains
- Experience with planning and managing multiple projects / programs effectively meeting enterprise PMO standards, utilizing PPM as required.
- Capable of functioning simultaneously in project / program management, technical consulting and business consulting roles effectively influencing, prioritizing and managing expectations with various parties with varying interests.
- Experience communicating highly complex findings, ideas and proposals to senior management and customers
- Experience implementing mathematical modeling for predictive and prescriptive analysis and/or optimization using R, Python, or similar tool/language
- Experience with data warehousing and leading business intelligence technologies.
- Experience with big data platforms such as Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience using complex machine learning methodologies
- Background in mathematics, operations research, statistics, and/or optimization.
- Strong analysis background and experience in working with multiple large, complex data systems to aggregate, organize, and prepare data for use in strategic business analysis
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field required; Advanced degree preferred [PHD preferred]
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel PowerPoint) Visio as applicable
- Practical comprehensive knowledge of using Microsoft Project / PPM as a planning tool and working in a Project Server Environment
- Advanced knowledge of DBMS query languages
- Expert knowledge of at least one programming language (R, Python, Java, etc.). Working knowledge of additional languages expected.
- Expert knowledge of statistical software packages (R, SAS, SPSS)
- Expert knowledge of big data technologies such as Spark or Hadoop
- Advance knowledge of data visualization tools such as GGplot, Qlikview, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of machine learning and deep learning framework
- Unique mastery and recognized authority on relevant technologies, theories and techniques. Successfully operates in the most complex disciplines.
- Possess deep domain expertise across a broad range of applications/products and adjacent systems.
- Recommends changes that impact strategic business direction.
- Leads the planning and implementation of change programs that impact critical functions/processes.
- Advanced knowledge of algorithm and data structure
As we evolve and grow as a business, so do you.
You will thrive within a collaborative and creative atmosphere where continuous learning and your commitment to making a difference are rewarded.
See yourself here: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/life-at-travelport/
We are an equal opportunities employer and will consider all qualified applicants purely on their skills and abilities.
Interested? We’d love for you to get in touch.