Posted12th Nov, 2020
Employment typeRegular - Full Time
What does a great Product Owner Director do?
The Product Owner Director role plays a key part in the evolution of the Product Owner function within Travelport, while also maintaining managerial responsibilities over a team of Product Owners who are accountable to delivering product to the market. Overall, this role helps Travelport optimize the speed by which we can flow value from concept to cash through our delivery team.
This is done by ensuring the product owners throughout the organization are writing stories and acceptance criteria that is fit for purpose, ensuring the right tools and processes are in place to speed up functional and regression testing automation, coaching in the best demo techniques, and providing market facing documentation of stories, use cases, and scenarios for the products we build.
This role’s primary responsibilities:
- Manages a team of Product Owners who themselves work on one (or two) Agile teams
- Is accountable for ensuring the right capabilities and resources are available within the Product Owner team, in terms of writing user stories, user acceptance criteria and prioritizing the team backlog.
- Ensures their team of Product Owners is focused on the right work and priority, and that the Product Owners are able to communicate the vision and goals of the product
- May also represent the interests of the business and the user on an Agile team
- Oversight and reviewing of the teams’ Product Owner responsibilities and tasks with their Agile teams including: ensuring work schedules/tasks reflect the prioritized backlogs; the vision and goals of the Product Strategy
- Responsible for oversight of the team’s Product Owner duties including acceptance criteria, analysis, release cycles in-line with the road map, key risks and constraints to the release planning
- Responsible for inspiring the team to work together and share best practice to achieve the Product Owner goals.
- May carry out the role of Product Owner on one or more teams, usually working on highly technical or complex products
- Responsible for organizing, leading, and providing guidance to the Community of Practice for Product Owners
- In addition to the responsibility to the team of Product Owners, the Director, Product Owners will be responsible for embedding product owner best practices throughout the entire organization, including Behavioural Driven Development (BDD), Gherkin acceptance criteria writing, testing and accepting stories and features
- Is responsible for providing regular feedback on performance and behaviours as part of the Performance Enablement practice and fostering a high-performing team
- Is responsible for coaching, mentoring and developing the entire Travelport Product Owner team to deliver their objectives and manage their performance as well as guiding them to achieve their personal growth aspirations
- Be a visible figure throughout Travelport in evangelizing product successes, customer needs, and product roadmap validation
- Embed consistency and minimize the risks of delivering non-valued items and improving performance through lessons learned for the next sprint
We build innovative software solutions that have a global impact upon the lives of travelers and travel agents. As the partner of choice for travel’s game-changers, you’ll drive transformation and be part of a winning culture.
What we look for?
- 10+ years’ experience of directly managing product teams at a large global tech organization with delivery budgets more than $3m USD; further 5+ years working in product / technology roles.
- 5+ years’ experience working with marketplace platform products that consider both supply and demand sides of the marketplace, and work with diverse content types (e.g. eCommerce platforms or websites, media content platforms, or travel commerce platforms)
- Proven track record of delivering great products through lean and agile practices, accommodating both back end needs and front end customer experiences and merchandising strategies - preferably within a marketplace or eCommerce environment (e.g. amazon, Booking.com, Facebook, eBay)
- Proven track record of implementing and managing successful Behavior Driven Development (BDD) and Test Driven Development (TDD) practices, tools, and cultures
- Experience in delivering global product across multiple regions with background of incorporating localization and translation needs.
- Experience of using data and analytics to drive decisions essential; needs to be very comfortable with data.
- Experience of working with design agencies and/or internal CX and UX design teams.
- Ability to understand and can contribute to great design by keep on-top of CX, UX and UI trends.
- Knowledge of Travel Distribution and Travel Industry is highly desired, but not required; desire however to gain this knowledge to be able to develop product strategy to win in this industry
- Undergraduate level qualification essential; Master level qualifications useful.
- Extensive product leadership experience, managing platforms or other digital products
- Commercial, technology & user experience understanding
- Ability to gain customer insight
- Experience working in organizations using Agile and Scaled Agile (SAFe) delivery methods
- Experience in using A/B testing and MVT for product optimization
- Technology understanding and to be able to work with technology as a partner and with products that have highly translational / high performance non-functional requirements
- People leadership skills & stakeholder management skills with ability to build consensus
- Solutions mind-set with significant experience of driving positive outcomes
- In depth knowledge of product management techniques, tools, and principals for planning, delivering & managing product life cycles
- Experience of driving end user testing through both quantitative tests and qualitative interviews and observations.
- Experience of working with customer centric design recommended
As we evolve and grow as a business, so do you.
You will thrive within a collaborative and creative atmosphere where continuous learning and your commitment to making a difference are rewarded.
See yourself here: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/life-at-travelport/
We are an equal opportunities employer and will consider all qualified applicants purely on their skills and abilities.
Interested? We’d love for you to get in touch.