Auto req ID: 6974BR
Employee type: Regular - Full Time
Purpose Statement and job context:
The Senior Architect - Customer Engagement is the assigned resource to provide expert consultancy services to support Commercial business stakeholders and account management in customer technical engagements. In this capacity, he/she will work closely in partnership with the commercial business to understand the Travelport business goals, objectives, and technical strategy and then be able to clearly articulate them to external customers. In addition, this individual will be able to perform discovery engagements with the customer to understand their business and technical environment and be able to synthesize the Travelport and customer estates into a business and technical roadmap that will be of benefit to both.
As a member of the regional architecture team based in Hong Kong, the candidate will also collaborate with other solution and business process architects assigned to the same region or in multiple regions who may be drawn upon to lead or support and facilitate pre-sales engagement workshops and discovery sessions.
In addition to customer engagement activities, the regional architecture roles partner closely with the Architecture CoE driving the strategic elements required for creating a Travelport compliant solution which includes standards, policies, best practices, appropriate technology selections and overall program governance.
Communication and negotiation skills are key in working with various customers and internal teams across a global matrixed operating environment to balance meeting commercial business goals and objectives with the architecture and business goals of the customer.
Responsible for engaging with and understanding external customer business and technical domains, and how Travelport solutions can connect to, enhance, or enable existing and new customer solutions.
- Responsible for implementing and managing the engagement strategy with external customers and the subsequent alignment with product, development and delivery teams.
- Ensure that assigned engagements follow all aspects of the architectural governance process from initiation of consultancy to closure (when appropriate).
- Have the ability to influence and direct the adoption of company technical direction and ensure the consistency of requirements across the enterprise whilst taking full account of commercial customer requirements as established through consultancy engagements.
- Work with the product, development, and global Architecture team members to define the approach and high level solution designs for assigned engagements.
- Ensure project designs are aligned with the architectural and business strategies with a clear relation to the end-state design / customer requirements / and business priorities.
- Conduct and participate in architecture peer reviews.
- Validate engagement deliverables and detailed solution designs with the other architects.
- Report and communicate on project assignments / engagements and current / forecasted workloads. This includes progress, obstacles, variances, and new requests.
- Foster collaboration across external customer, commercial teams, and architecture teams to drive awareness of the customer engagement and involve the key members from the entire Enterprise Architecture discipline where needed.
- Escalate and report gaps in standards, guidelines, and best practices.
- Verify that delivered solutions align with the engagement parameters, commercial objectives and are in alignment with Travelport technical guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, Training, Education:
- Bachelor’s degree (or relevant experience) in one of the computer sciences.
- 5-7+ plus years of experience in IT development, design and architecture and in direct engagements with customers demonstrating excellence in consultancy skills (understanding customer requirements and recommending solutions optimal to both the customer and Travelport)
- Advanced written, verbal and presentation skills to effectively communicate with all levels of an organization both internal and customer facing. Japanese language skills advantageous.
- Ability to contribute to and champion the adoption of company technical direction whilst aligning to customer requirements.
- Understanding of TOGAF and have the ability to become TOGAF certified.
- Able to describe solutions and issues to customers, commercial teams, leadership and technical participants who may not be familiar with the subject matter
- Demonstrate ability to make strong judgments, work effectively with all levels of clients and IT management and staff, and work at the highest level of all phases of business system design and information delivery technologies required.
- Proven ability to work as a liaison and “go between specialist” to translate requirements to product and vice versa.
- Strong knowledge of multiple technology stacks such as .Net, Java, and IBM mainframe.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding and working knowledge of relational, object and other databases and data access protocols preferred
- Experience with middleware. Knowledge of IBM a plus.
- Experience with software architecture modeling and with one or more relevant modeling languages, such as UML preferred
- Working knowledge of principles of design and development of web-based systems – web servers, session management preferred
- Knowledge of Struts 1.3.5, Ajax 1.1, Dozer, JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library (JSTL), Java API for XML Web Services(JAX-WS), Java API for XML Processing (JAXB), JAX-RPC, EJB 2.0, EJB 3.0, Java Persistent API , Open SAML 2.1, JasperReports 3.7, Apache Wicket, Apache POI 3.6, SAAJ 1.3, .NET and c#.
- Working knowledge of web, mobile and multi-channel application development experience. Preferably proven B2B, B2C application development and architecture experience
- RESTful web service development, client-server architecture, API based server-side development. Experience with the Spring Framework 4.0.
- Experience designing systems for high performance: high throughput, high-availability, low latency, etc. preferred
- Experience applying Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) to real-world solutions
- Working knowledge of Web Services, WS-* standards and relevant communications protocols, including SOAP, REST, HTTP, and JMS
- Experience and/or active knowledge of TOGAF
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to define details, resolve conflicts, consider options, and deliver viable architectures
- Experience with z/OS, z/TPF, MVS or other mainframe systems preferred