Travelport Cares: Making an impact in our communities
August 6, 2019
At Travelport, we’re driving the travel industry and improving experiences with technology solutions that excite, while simplifying processes and growing our customers’ businesses. But we strive to do more.
You may not be aware that our employees around the globe go beyond our business objectives to support improvement in the communities where we live, work and play. That is why we’re highlighting the skills, energy and passion our employees are contributing to make our world a better place in this Travelport Cares blog series. As part of our Corporate Social Responsibility, the #TravelportCares program enables employees to support the causes they care most about, within three core pillars:
Travelport Cares: Community
In this blog, we’re focusing on the community pillar and sharing how employees are going further, getting involved and making a difference across the globe. Our employees care tremendously about specific causes impacting their neighbors and friends within local communities. Through Travelport Cares, employees have the freedom and support to contribute time and resources for causes like community clean-ups, local disaster relief, and non-profit organizations large and small. Our community initiatives include “Make Your Mark” days for volunteering, an upcoming local heroes plan to champion office fundraisers and events – as well as fundraising and our Give 150% program.
Here’s a few ways our employees are fundraising in their communities during Summer 2019:
- Mud run to end Multiple Sclerosis: On September 14, 2019, our Colorado employees are participating in 2019 MuckFest Denver where Team Travelport will conquer mud and obstacles in support of the National MS Society and their mission to end multiple sclerosis (MS). 100% of funds raised will benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, and #TravelportCares will match and contribute an additional 100% of all funds raised by our team, up to $500.
Click here to learn more about MuckFest mud run and help TeamTravelport reach our fundraising goal!
- Walking for a better quality of life: On August 19, 2019 the Travelport Technical Optimization Team in Langley, UK are walking Half a Marathon (13.1 miles) along the Thames to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support. As many people all over the world have been affected by the devastating effects of cancer, our UK employees wish to dedicate one day to raising as much money as possible to help Macmillan provide physical, financial and emotional support to those living with cancer.
Click here to learn more and donate to the Team Travelport Half a Marathon hike.
- Putting to feed kids in need: In July, our Atlanta employees organized an in-office golf tournament by creating unique putt-putt holes around the office, where employees paid to participate in a fun tournament in support of MUST ministries’ Summer Lunch Program to provide free lunch during Summer months to thousands of children in metro-Atlanta. #TravelportCares matched 50% of donations raised from the office golf tournament.
Click here to donate and learn more about Atlanta’s MUST ministries Summer Lunch Program.
As part of Give 150%, we encourage our U.S. and UK based employees to give back through fundraising where we contribute an extra 50% on top of donations raised of at least $100 and up to $1,000. Give 150% empowers employees to support an eligible charity of their choice, to ensure we’re collectively giving back to the causes that mean most to our employees at the local-level. In 2019 alone, Travelport has donated over $68,000 in charity donations as a whole.
Here’s what some employees had to say about what the #TravelportCares and Give 150% programs mean to them:
“Since I met I Amy, a grandmother, a Navy Veteran, and friend who has been battling Multiple Sclerosis for over 10 years, I’ve participated in Denver Muckfest and fundraising efforts every year. The MS Society has estimated that over 1 million Americans suffer from MS. It affects women at nearly 3 times the rate as it affects men and there is no cure,” says Johnathan McKinney, Travelport Product Release Program Manager in Denver. “This year, Travelport has created a team to participate in a fun mud 5K obstacle course and raise $2,500 to aid in the fight against MS. Travelport Cares will donate an additional 20% of total funds raised between now and September 14th- I am thrilled that Travelport is joining the fight against MS.”
“Macmillan Cancer Support is a life line Support & Advice network for individuals and families devastated by the effects of cancer. With a number of the European Technical Optimization fundraisers personally impacted by Cancer, Travelport’s “Make Your Mark” day is a wonderful opportunity to support employees by investing in our efforts to make a difference for those in need,” says Mark Stanghon, Travelport Customer Optimization in Langley, UK.
“The recent office golf tournament in the Atlanta Galleria office is so important on several fronts. I think it is incumbent upon us as individuals but also as a corporation to give back to the communities in which we operate, hopefully while having some fun at the same time,” says Ali Richardson, Travelport GVP Technology HR in Atlanta. “The office golf achieved both of those objectives and we have been able to ensure numerous children receive a nutritious lunch over their summer vacation which may be their only meal.”
More fundraising around the globe:
- Travelport employees in Kenya collectively raised enough donations through an office-wide fundraiser in February to pay for +40 childrens’ school fees for a term through the Kabete Children’s Home in Nairobi!
- The Travelport Johannesburg Office celebrated #MandelaDay on July 18 at the Look Forward Creativity Centre, an orphanage in Johannesburg, South Africa that provides children who have been abandoned, neglected, abused and orphaned with “all the love any good family can give.” Travelport employees collected food, toys and clothing and provided the children with lunch!
- Travelport’s Swindon office employees recently raffled off delicious food to raise money for Wiltshire Air Ambulance, a local charity that provides rapid emergency medical treatment in Wiltshire and surrounding counties.
- In Denver, Travelport employees raised a plethora of school supplies as well as $1,000 in cash (with an additional $500 contributed through the #TravelportCares Give 150% program) for the Integrated Family Community Services organization in Denver supporting local school children heading back to class for the 2019-2020 school year!
How can you help?
- Get started: Employees, are you looking for information to get involved or support a community cause you care about? Email TravelportCares@travelport.com email@example.com!
- Learn more: For information about Travelport Cares and our education, community and sustainability programs, visit our Travelport Cares page.
- Keep up: Follow our #TravelportCares hashtag on Twitter and LinkedIn to see the latest fundraising activities and events our employees are taking part in around the world.